What is the Course About?
The course ensures that there are suitably qualified people with the knowledge, understanding and competency to deliver, plan, organise and assess the learning of children in a range of environments including the community and schools.
There are a number of deficiencies in the school sports provision arena, which this course will help to address:
- Primary School teachers receiving less than 10 hours training in delivering Physical Education during their teacher training.
- England is currently the 5th unhealthiest country in the world and it is a Government priority to tackle this trend.
- Almost a fourth of children are overweight or obese by the time they start primary school, and more than a third are unhealthily heavy by the time they leave.
What are the entry requirements?
- Be at least 16 years of age to attend the programme of training
- 5 GCSEs (A*-C OR GRADE 4) or equivalent, including English and maths at minimum of grade C (Learners without a C in math or English will be required to undertake Functional Skills as part of this programme.
- Hold a Level 2 physical education or sport related qualification (desirable), examples include: The 1st4sport Level 2 Certificate in Supporting Learning in Physical Education and School Sport (QCF)
What will you study and learn?
A range of qualifications with a variety of credit values are available. These include:
- Unit 3 Understand child and young person development
- Unit 5 Support assessment for learning
- Unit 6 Plan a physical education and school sport programme
- Unit 8 Review the delivery of a physical education and school sport programme
- Unit 7 Deliver a physical education and school sport programme
- Unit 9 Organise and lead a sport event or competition
- Unit 10 Preparing for the mentoring role